Lockwood House is an imposing building that dates back to the 1800’s when it was built as the head office of Bentley & Shaws brewery. The brewery was founded here because of the quality of local spring water.
We occupy the former MD Timothy Bentley’s office, his claim to fame is the pioneering of volume beer production. Bentley & Shaws were taken over by Hammonds United Brewers in 1944 who in turn were gobbled up by Bass Charrington who brewed beer here into the 1960’s.
Before it was shut down completely, the site was used as a bottling plant and distribution centre for several years after brewing ended. Huddersfield Rugby Union Club made Lockwood Park their home in 1997 when they moved across town from Waterloo.